Applications for the African Union Digital and Innovation Fellowship 2021 are now being accepted. The fellowship is a comprehensive programme that selects and deploys highly qualified tech innovators from around Africa as “resident fellows” to study the system within the African Union Headquarters and Organs, solve systemic difficulties, and provide solutions to these problems.
The fellows will be expected to help the African Union achieve its goals by co-creating and implementing innovative, specialised products and processes, notably in the areas of good governance and public engagement. Furthermore, the effort will endeavour to create favourable conditions for the long-term growth of the internal capabilities of the host African Union institutions.
African Union Digital and Innovation Fellowship 2021 Benefits
- Take part in a number of capacity-building seminars taught by experts from the African innovation ecosystem.
- AfriLabs’ community of seasoned industry leaders can provide guidance.
- Make relationships and take advantage of the various chances for peer-to-peer learning.
- A monthly stipend will be paid to you throughout the Fellowship.
- Participate in a range of ecosystem events, onboarding/offboarding, study/learning excursions, and other activities that are all-expenses-paid.
- Participate in a large graduation ceremony where fellows will be presented with certificates.
- Become among the fellows or alumni of the African Union Digital and Innovation Fellowship Program.
African Union Fellowship for Digital and Innovation Eligibility
- You must be based in Africa and a citizen of a member state of the African Union.
- You must be under the age of 34 at the time of application.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in higher education or its equivalent;
- Have the ability to gather extensive information about complex situations or circumstances, as well as the ability to effectively evaluate and analyse data in order to identify key issues and provide solutions;
- Using expertise and technical knowledge, create novel technology products/solutions;
- Be available to travel to Abuja, Nigeria in late October 2021 for an orientation session to the AfriLabs Annual Gathering;
- Be willing to commit for a period of 12 months, from November 2021 to September 2022. Fellows will be obliged to quit their current responsibilities and relocate to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, in November 2021.
- Applicants who speak more than one AU official language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swahili) are particularly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply for a Digital and Innovation Fellowship 2021
The African Union Digital and Innovation Fellowship is open to all qualified persons, and the selection process is fully merit-based.
Independent reviewers will analyse all qualifying submissions once the application window closes, and the top 30 scorers will be picked as finalists for the next round of the selection process.
The top 10 finalists will be confirmed as fellows after rounds of interviews with AU departments/organs. Before flying to Addis Ababa and being deployed to AU departments/organs in November, selected fellows will be expected to attend the 2021 AfriLabs Annual Gathering in Abuja, Nigeria, as well as a virtual pre-deployment training.
For more information and submission of application, please visit the African Union website.